Wednesday, March 24, 2004



I've been listening to The Distillers' Coral Fang a fair bit lately (got it playing at work right this very moment as a matter of fact), and I'm liking it more and more. The reader(s?) of my last blog will recall that occasionally it takes me awhile to get to really like Distillers albums, and it's been much the same with this one. However, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that it's one of those 'no weak tracks' albums.

Oh, as an aside, mine has a different cover than pictured above...

Anyway, it's struck me that the parallels between The Distillers and Hole are becoming far too many to ignore. Now, before anybody gets their knickers in a knot, I like Hole, so I consider this a good thing. Now, the angry-young-rocker-married-to-famous-musical-husband bit has been analyzed to death, so I'm going to leave it alone, and merely point out something that struck me the other day, and led me to do a bit of comparative listening. Listen to the opening verse of the opening track from Live Through This, and then listen to the same bit from "Drain the Blood", the opening song on Coral Fang, and then try to tell me that those women are not coming from exactly the same place musically. As noted above, I think this is a good thing.

No comments: