Friday, December 14, 2007



Sad News

Writer Pratchett has Alzheimer's
By SIMON NEVILLE

THE best-selling fantasy author Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with a rare form of early-onset Alzheimer's disease.


I have been a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's books ever since the first time I read one of them (it was Hogfather, for the record). Pratchett is, in my humble opinion, funnier than Douglas Adams (for one thing, he's not as cynical as Adams), and possesses the rare ability to mix comedy with truly serious situations.

Anyway, it appears that we're going to lose a genuinely funny man far too early (he's only 59).

In other news, Friday Archaeology Blogging will be along tomorrow.

2 comments:

Rev.Paperboy said...

Funnier than Douglas Adams?

Heretic!!

having said that, I do like Pratchett's work and it is a shame to lose such a talented, prolific writer in his prime.

Bazz said...

Douglas Adams was indeed a funny, funny, man - Hitchhiker's Guide was one of the first laugh-out-loud (repeatedly) books I ever read. I'm still giving the edge, ever-so-slightly, to Pratchett, though! :)